February 20, 2009

February 20th, 2009

I have a great many things on my walls of my room at home. My tastes in art varies from tropical themes to asian accents. One of my favorite items is this butterfly I bought while in Key West, FL in 2006. I know you can't see the colors well in this photo, but it's black with green and blue markings. I made my purchase at Wings of Imagination, and have every intent of making another in the future.

I have always loved the colors of butterflies. As a child I was lucky enough to catch one in my hands, and I didn't want to open them because I knew that butterfly would flit away on the breeze. But then of course, as moms often do, she made me release it. I would later catch lightening bugs in a jar and release them into the house....which was actually quite funny. Mom didn't think so though.

It's amazing, the care instructions that came with the butterfly are so detailed.

  • Do not place in direct sunlight, as it will cause the butterfly to fade.
  • Do not use Windex to clean the the Plexiglas box, the chemicals could cause the butterfly to disintegrate.
  • Be gently with your butterfly, as any rough jolt could cause it to break.
  • Dust the box with a soft, dry cloth.
When I was bringing the delight home on the plane I worried that it wouldn't make in home in one piece and gently cradled the bubble-wrapped prize in my lap. But as you can see, it made it home in one piece, and still rests on my wall, reminding me of the times when I would chase butterflies in the back yard.

4 comments:

Gerri Ward said...

Marie, Wow! This Butterfly is Beautiful. I remember doing the same thing when I was a kid. I had more fun playing by myself simply because I would chase and capture Butterflies and lie in the grass so the furry caterpillars would crawl all over me. My Mother swore I would get Fever Blisters from them. Crazy!!! Anyway now I want a Butterfly! You think I can find one online?
p.s. Marie thanks for catching the error in my post this morning!!!

Debra said...

I remember never being able to catch a butterfly BUT lighting bugs.....loved doing that.

CC said...

I would catch lighting bugs all summer long. I would marvel at the butterfly's careful floating thru the summer air...I still and delighted with them to this day.

~Marie~ said...

Gerri - Of course you can find one online. Wings of Imagination will ship your butterfly to you.

Debra - I still love catching lightening bugs!

CC - Butterfly are so lovely... we have a couple butterfly bushes that attract butterflies to the yard in the summer.

Previous Posts