April 23, 2009

April 23rd, 2009

I have a friend who is in the Cayman Islands right now, and now my mind is on sunny beaches with blue water and a delicious Caribbean treat called Conch Fritters. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. I decided to look for a recipe for Conch Fritters, now I know it will be near impossible to find Conch here in Maryland, but that doesn’t mean I can’t try the recipe with something else.

11conchYou may recognize the shell, which is referred to as a Conch Shell, but the snail-like creature inside is the Conch itself. Here is the recipe I found:

Conch Fritters

This is a traditional Bahamian recipe that is made with conch, this wonderful shellfish that is delicious but so hard to find out from the Bahamas. These fritters are great as an appetizer, finger food or as a very tasty hors d'oeuvre to accompany your favorite tropical drink!

INGREDIENTS

Fritters:
1 quart oil for frying
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
ground cayenne pepper to taste
seasoned salt to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chopped conch meat
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Dipping Sauce:
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Heat the oil in a large pot or deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
In a bowl, mix the flour, egg, and milk. Season with cayenne pepper, seasoned salt, salt, and pepper. Mix in the conch meat, onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic.
Drop the batter by rounded tablespoons into the hot oil, and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

In a bowl, mix the ketchup, lime juice, mayonnaise, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Serve dipping sauce on the side with the fritters.

FOOTNOTES

Conch can be replaced with any seafood.

This sounds like something I am definitely going to try this summer…. maybe even before then!

3 comments:

Gerri Ward said...

Sounds deliciously yummy !!!
WOW! I would luv to be on a beach in the Cayman Islands right now. New York is nice but too fast for me, each time I go, I can't wait to get home and I'm always sooo tired. I think a week-end is okay in NY but a week is too much and nooo way would I like to live there, maybe upstate but that's it! I would luv to be on a beach eating this yummy treat and drinking a yummy tropical drink!
p.s. You always find the best recipes - Thanks!!!!

THE SANDY DOG BAKERY said...

mmmmmmmmmmm....

~Marie~ said...

Hi Gerri,

Conch Fritters are delicious. It took me a few tries to realized I like them. Sometimes when you try something new you have try it more than once. And yes NY is a very fast paced city... too fast for me as well.

Hi Sandy Dog Bakery,

Mmmmmmmmm is right.

Previous Posts